Thursday, May 2, 2013

WEEK 15...Trying new "greens" and new kettle bell workouts. Have you tried to kettle bell yet?


Spring is finally coming around, which is a wonderful time of year to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into the diet, especially “glorious greens”.  Green vegetables are the foods more commonly missing in modern diets, but full of many key nutrients, making them “super foods”.  There is a wide variety of greens to choose from to start adding into your diet today – bok choy, cabbage, kale, collards, watercress, mustard greens and other dark green leafy greens.  Try a variety of methods like sautéing in olive oil and using in raw salads.  Greens are associated with spring (the time of renewal), so start adding them into your diet today!

 

Nutritional Homework
I have asked Nikki to add a “green” to her diet this week that she has never tried before.  We often have a few varieties of foods we eat and rotate, which gets boring and bland.  Part of eating should be trying different fruits and vegetables and experimenting with the different flavors and textures of foods – who knows – you might actually like something new!

Exercise Homework
I have put together a full body kettle bell circuit which works all the major muscle groups of the body using only kettle bells.  Because of kettle bells design, more stabilizer muscles are used increasing the metabolic and fat burning potential, creating a high intensity circuits.  The exercises are quick and explosive which are difficult – Nikki is definitely feeling challenged this week!






Nikki’s Comments
I’m so glad May has finally arrived! April was an extra hectic, stressful month that left me feeling utterly exhausted, and frustrated with myself for hitting a plateau in my weight loss journey. I was going through the motions but not giving it 100%. It’s really no wonder – if you are distracted on other priorities and put in less effort, you’re not going to have the same results!

The past few weeks, I’ve learned that this is real life. I’m not secluded on the Biggest Loser ranch where my only responsibility is to work-out and lose weight. I will forever be juggling life’s demands while also trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle. That was a good lesson for me to face.
So now as the dust settles from this wave of extenuating circumstances, I’m picking myself up and getting right back to working on my goals. I’m maintaining my positive attitude and proving to myself that I’m not going to quit when it gets tough – I’m in this for the long-haul! My fighting spirit is back and ready to kick it up a notch…which apparently Jodi already knew because the kettle bell routines are doing just that! J

No comments:

Post a Comment