Friday, May 31, 2013

WEEK 19...Jodi and Nikki talk about food triggers and how to respond. Nikki also adds lunges and kneeling woodchopper squat to this week's workout routine. What are some of your food triggers?


Nikki and I discussed the topic of food triggers this week.  A food trigger is an un-intentioned slipup that can derail your healthy eating intentions by creating cravings or overeating for particular foods, these triggers can be both physical and emotional.  We’ve all had moments when we’ve rewarded our weight loss efforts with some of our favorite forbidden foods in an effort to find balance and moderation, only to realize that we’ve overindulged and are then riddled with guilt and consequence to our actions (extra workouts).  Trying to identify and bring awareness to our actions and eating patterns is critical to changing negative behavioral patterns.

Nutritional Homework
I have provided Nikki with a food triggers exercise form for her to complete so that she can identify and work through the process of changing this behavioral pattern for herself.

Exercise Homework
I have continued to add variety and progress with her program.  I have now added walking lunges to strengthen her lower body muscles groups (quads, hamstrings and glutes) and elevate her heart rate as to increase the intensity and fat burning potential.  I have also added a great core strengthening exercise, the kneeling woodchopper squat, which allows her to increase strength in her core when moving in a rotational range of motion (which is more functional for daily life) - Nikki should be a little sore after this one!




Nikki’s Comments
I’ve always known certain foods are ‘dangerous’ for me to be around. After all, who can eat just one cookie? Well I can’t. Cookies and potato chips are two of my trigger foods that I can NOT have in my house without overeating. So I just don’t buy them – for now they are off limits. I’ve had a small amount around others if I’m really having a craving, but I’m careful not to bring any back into my home! Jodi has taught me it’s important to keep my home a ‘safe’ haven. It’s been helpful for me to recognize which foods I can control better than others. And also remember that if I make a poor choice, there will always be consequences!


What I never considered was that triggers can also be settings – places I visit where I tend to overindulge. That was a real eye-opener for me. I had to identify which environments (or even company I encountered) were triggers for me to revert back to my unhealthy eating habits. And then think of ways to combat them so I am not left feeling vulnerable. This worksheet about behavioral modification felt more like therapy for me to complete. It was another reminder how deeply rooted these issues are for me - I’m trying to change behaviors I’ve had for decades! But figuring out the who, what, where, when, and (most difficultly) the why of my triggers to overeat is an essential part of this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment