Thursday, May 16, 2013

WEEK 17...Jodi and Nikki explore the grocery store and health food store. Nikki also succeeds at buying a new pair of gym shoes.


This week Nikki and I enjoyed a field trip together getting outside of the Y and embracing a quest to find the perfect pair of workout shoes (funny story that Nikki will share below) as well as grocery shopping and having a delightful lunch at the health food store!  After much discussion about nutrition, I wanted to give Nikki hands on assistance at the grocery store identifying healthier options in the sea of selections, which can be overwhelming.  We shopped the perimeter of the store discussing the various fruit and vegetable options as well as the danger zone, processed/packaged items.  In the end, she was able to find some options that she and her family could feel good about.
 
Nutritional Homework
Broadening fruit and vegetable intake takes effort so I have encouraged Nikki to try some new fruits and vegetable options this week.  I have also recommended getting the kids involved since she often is shopping with them by having them pick-out something new every week for the family to try.  This technique will get the kids more excited about eating healthier as well!


 

Exercise Homework
Nikki is continuing to follow her kettle bell workout and is feeling challenged.  I have added some stretching to keep her flexible and to help prevent any potential injuries, it’s also a relaxing way to end your workout!  We now have a new stretch machine at the Y which makes it even more easy and practical to stretch!

 

Nikki’s Comments
Several weeks ago Jodi mentioned the possibility of going to the grocery store together and I knew that would be so helpful. We both prepared a list of areas of the store to discuss and I came ready to take notes! Although she kept us moving, (I could have wondered around for hours asking her questions!) our time was very productive. Jodi showed me products that I had never noticed, explained why certain types of food were healthier choices than others, and challenged me to try preparing new items. I am open-minded but knew I had to be realistic with what my family would eat, and what our budget would allow. Healthy cooking isn’t cheap, but figuring out which substitutions we like and/or are most advantageous is the key to making lasting changes.

I left Meijer feeling capable but next came the Health Food Store. It was my first time there and honestly I was overwhelmed. I was surrounded by products I had never heard of.  It was as if I was in a foreign land and everyone was speaking a different language. It pushed me outside my comfort zone but I was really glad we went. It was enlightening to see how many products are on the market for everyday people trying to make healthier choices for their families. I picked up a few items, hummus, coconut oil, pumpkin and sesame seeds to incorporate and I plan to return to spend more time browsing the aisles.
The other goal for our field trip was to find a quality pair of work-out tennis shoes. Although that sounds easy enough, it took me awhile to find just the right pair.  Thanks to Jodi for being so patient!  Our first stop took entirely too long when the overly helpful salesman insisted I pick from a handful of ugly, extra-wide orthotic shoes. I reluctantly tried them on and listened to his sales pitch but knew I was not going to spend $100 on something I did not like! After two more stops and learning exactly what to ask, and what not to ask, we found a pair of Asics that fit both function and style. My workout apparel leaves a lot to be desired, but a good pair of shoes makes all the difference for this girl! J

 

No comments:

Post a Comment