Thursday, May 9, 2013

WEEK 16...Jodi shares tips on boosting metabolism and Nikki opens up about her improvement to her daily eating schedule.


We often hear the term metabolism, and are told that we need to speed it up so we can lose weight, but what does that really mean?  The layman’s definition of metabolism is “the chemical process that converts fuel from food into energy”.  There are several factors that impact your metabolism that you can’t control such as age, gender and genetics, however there are some simple ways to boost your metabolism naturally that you can control.  Research has identified that eating breakfast (which means breaking the fast) and eating regularly (about every 3-4 hours) are great ways to speed up your metabolism.   Various foods and drinks can boost metabolism as well such as vegetables, lemon/lime, peppers, nuts/seeds, beans and lean protein, coffee and green tea can boost metabolism significantly daily in a natural, healthful way.  No weight loss supplements needed! 
Another way is to speed up metabolism is gaining more muscle through strength training.  Strength training speeds up metabolism for 24 hours after performing exercises.  For every one pound of muscle you gain your body burns approximately 50 calories per day. 

Nutritional Homework
I have asked Nikki to add a new metabolism boosting food or beverage to her diet this week.  A simple homemade lemonade recipe:

8 oz. water, ½ lemon, stevia (squeeze lemon juice into water and add stevia to taste – if sour – add more stevia) – add crushed ice and lemon slice for garnish if desired – refreshing on a hot summer day!
 

Exercise Homework
Nikki is still perfecting her kettle bell routine and I have added a plié squat-n-upright row to her routine which targets her inner thighs and shoulders.  Nikki’s kettle bell routine consists of 5 exercises that are performed quickly and explosively, elevating her heart rate and intensity.



Nikki’s Comments
Some things seem so obvious…until this week I never thought about the word breakfast literally meaning ‘breaking the fast’ you’ve had through the night (duh!). Before working with Jodi, I’d usually wait a few hours before consuming anything in the morning (typically grabbing something quick while running out the door). But Jodi has encouraged me to eat an earlier breakfast to jump start my metabolism for the day. Then I have a mid-morning snack to keep me from going too long between meals. That was another change – I had thought if I wasn’t feeling hungry, I shouldn’t eat. Staying busy often distracted me from eating or drinking for 5-6 hour stretches but then I’d become so hungry, I’d overeat. I never realized that was a problem, in fact, I thought it was better to eat 2-3 large meals than be snacking all day long. Neither extreme are healthy approaches. My goal now is to eat lightly every 3-4 hours to prevent that ‘must eat now’ sense of urgency leading to unhealthy food choices. And I’m intentionally drinking more water throughout the day. It’s quality not just quantity that matters. For example instead of a pop tart, I’m trying to incorporate oatmeal or scrambled eggs. It keeps me feeling full longer and actually forces me to stop, sit and enjoy my meal. Wow there’s a novel concept…hmm, these lessons seem so obvious but yet so foreign sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment