Thursday, May 23, 2013

WEEK 18...Jodi encourages Nikki to add more beans to her menu line-up for her protein and Nikki takes advantage of the nicer weather to exercise outside.


Often in an effort to incorporate more protein in our diet we think of meat, eggs, and dairy which can get boring and can limit our nutritional intake.  Therefore………think beans!  Beans are a wonderful way to add high quality plant based protein to your diet.  They are high in iron, b-vitamins and fiber, and are versatile enough that you may never tire of them.  There is a wonderful variety to choose from such as black beans, northern, chickpeas, kidney and lima beans, as well as “super beans” like mung beans and lentils.  You can make them in a crockpot or simply open a can (be sure to strain) and incorporate them into a meal – so simple and tasty!
Nutritional Homework
I have encouraged Nikki to try a new bean this week – adding chickpeas to a salad or black beans to a wrap to bring a Mexican and hearty flare to a quick and easy meal on the go!
 
 
Exercise Homework
It’s time to take Nikki’s cardio workouts up-a-notch, therefore, I have added more intensity to Nikki’s EFX and Bike workouts incorporating more intervals.  Nikki continues her treadmill workout as well, but I have asked her to take more walks outside as it will be more enjoyable and scenic being with nature, making the workout fly by!
Nikki’s Comments
As the weather is getting warmer, it’s been fun venturing outside more! I have always enjoyed leisure time outdoors, but I’ve never been a fan of exercising outside. Maybe it’s because I feel more self-conscious, or just hate to sweat in the heat. I’ve never been considered an ‘outdoorsy’ girl – I don’t like to hike through the woods or go on nature walks. And I honestly don’t think I’ll ever understand the allure that runners have to hitting the pavement. I like the structure the gym offers - rotating machines and knowing my goals on each helps make me feel like I’m staying on track and being efficient. But outdoor activities add a nice variety to a workout plan, so I want to be intentional about finding what I can enjoy doing outside that can ‘count’ as exercise this summer. Walking and biking, doing yard work and gardening, and joining my kids as they play games are all on my list.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment