Friday, April 26, 2013

WEEK 14...Jodi shares good information about the benefits of whole grains and Nikki tries to be more experimental in the kitchen.


Many of us have heard the recommendation to eat “whole grains” but often it is not understood what that is.  This term means that grains such as rice, corn, wheat, oats, barley, etc. have not been altered from how they occur in nature.  Because the grains are “whole” and contain the bran, germ, and endosperm (still contain the vitamins/minerals and fiber) which means they have not been refined or processed and stripped of its nutrients.  This is key when stabilizing blood sugar and filling you up.
Eating whole grains is also very economical for the family, especially when buying in bulk, but grains by themselves can be very boring and bland.  When cooking with grains, it’s important to add herbs, spices, or sea salt and experiment with flavorings that are appealing to you and your family.  Grains are super easy to make, just adding water or broth and seasonings and let the stovetop or rice maker do the work.  Any grain can be cooked in a rice maker, such as oatmeal – not just rice!



Nutritional Homework
I have asked Nikki to pick a whole grain and cook this week.  I have asked her to experiment with flavorings that she might enjoy and open her awareness and senses to new flavors as she is cooking.  Part of getting in the kitchen and cooking is experimentation – so have fun with it!

Exercise Homework
This week I have added in “alternating” movements.  This means that you are working one leg or arm at a time.  The benefit of these movements will incorporate more core strengthening during the exercise as well as increase the duration for each exercise, increasing fat burning potential.  Another important benefit is when strengthening one arm/leg at a time you can often sense that a particular side (right/left) is stronger than the other – allowing you to create more balanced strength.  I also had Nikki perform ab crunches on the mat using an exercise band to help her properly perform crunches which are often difficult in the beginning when lacking abdominal strength – practice makes perfect!



 
Nikki’s Comments
I’ve never considered myself a good cook. My mother is a natural – the kind who can whip up a yummy (albeit fattening) dish with any random ingredients. Well, I stumbled through those early years of marriage thanks to hamburger helper and cheesy casseroles. It wasn’t until I had children that I really started trying to improve my cooking skills. I’ve come a long way, but I still don’t necessarily enjoy cooking, and when I find a new recipe I tend to stick to it exactly instead of creatively making it my own by altering it to fit my family’s liking. Now that I’m trying to prepare more healthy meals, I’m realizing the need to expand my palette and try different ingredient combinations and cooking methods. I’ve appreciated Jodi’s encouragement in this area. She’s nudging me to try something new each week. So far my family have been troopers with my ‘experiments’ but it’s an area I think we all wish I’d continue exploring! J

No comments:

Post a Comment