Friday, April 19, 2013

WEEK 13...Learning the importance of reading food labels and being able to understand. Nikki also opens up about the challenge of staying on track when there are so many obstacles in life.

Because of the busyness of life, we all need to have “some” packaged foods in our cabinets for quick and easy snacks/meals on occasion.  Therefore, this week Nikki and I discussed the importance of reading food labels.  We identified the key areas to pay attention to such as serving size, servings per container, total carbohydrates, total fats and sodium.  After reviewing labels, also being aware of ingredients is extremely important when eating processed/packaged foods.  This is often when you can identify trans-fat ingredients such as “hydrogenated oil”, different hidden forms of sugar, artificial sweeteners and many additives/preservatives which can hinder our weight loss efforts.  Basically, if the label is long and sounds like a science experiment – find another product whose label is small and easy to read one that you can feel good about having stocked in your kitchen. 

Nutritional Homework
I have asked Nikki to start being aware of how much and the quality of processed items she is selecting for herself and family.  I have asked her to go home and review the items in her cabinets now that she is more educated as to what to look for and what to avoid in these foods.  As she identifies some products that are not meeting the healthier requirements, I have encouraged her to start looking for items to replace.



Exercise Homework
This week we introduced kettle bells into her circuit.  Kettle bells are an excellent addition to any workout regimen as due to the design of the kettle bell and the explosive exercise movements - they are top notch when wanting to strengthen and burn fat.  New exercises we have added are the kettle bell swing and a seated woodchopper squat to strengthen her core while elevating heart rate to burn fat.  I have also changed Nikki’s treadmill program which incorporates 2 minute high speed intervals to challenge her aerobically.


Nikki’s Comments
I know that my personal journey to weight loss and healthy living will take far longer than this 6 month program. I’m trying to soak up as much information from Jodi as possible to be able to do this on my own for many years to come. In order to do that, I need to fully understand what I’m doing here. The world of healthy eating has not been easy for me to navigate – it’s just been easier (and seemingly, cheaper and more convenient) to grab the processed food and junky snacks. But the more I learn, the more I realize the hidden costs to all this ‘convenience’. It’s no wonder I am overweight – I’ve never taken the responsibility of reading food labels and understanding exactly what I’m consuming. What are all these foreign ingredients anyhow?

It takes effort to pay attention to every food choice and it takes dedication to devote time to exercise. Over the last few weeks, I’ve realized that things are going to happen in my life that will derail my focus on nutrition/fitness. And while I’m able to control some circumstances, there are many factors completely out of my control - such as when my four children and husband all got the flu one right after the other. Caring for them around the clock left me so exhausted! I had little time, energy or desire for meal planning or going to the gym. I saw how quickly I reverted back to letting my needs fall to the bottom of the priority list. Sure, it can be necessary in times of crisis but there is a limit to how much of ourselves we can give to others without replenishing our own well. It’s deeply rooted in me to please (and care for) others, and the issue keeps coming up in discussions with Jodi about weight-loss hindrances. After the flu, life charges on and there will be other trials to face. I want to be strong, healthy and ready to fight back when life knocks me (or my loved ones) down – so today “I” am an important part of my own to-do-list and the efforts will be worthwhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment