Thursday, January 31, 2013

WEEK THREE...


Nutritional Homework
Nikki has continued to keep a diet journal which has aided in her awareness of food & beverage choices.  The topic we discussed this week was pre/post workout nutrition.  Timing of food is important to fueling the body as well as boosting the metabolism & muscle recovery process.  Nikki and I discussed options before and after workouts based upon her daily work and workout schedule.  She will focus on incorporating these changes into her morning routine. Next week, I’ll list the specific tips on good pre/post workout nutrition.

Exercise Homework
I have developed a beginner full body strength training circuit that can be done at home with a chair and a pair of free weights.  This circuit only requires about 20-30 minutes depending on the time she has available.  I have asked Nikki to fit this into her schedule and perform one session per week.  She is continuing to focus on building endurance and variety with her cardio program the remaining four days per week.

Nikki’s Comments
I am continuing my food journal and have appreciated Jodi’s input about the quality and timing of my meals/snacks. This week I traveled to Chicago with my family and packed some healthy snacks that saved on both calories and expense. I’m finding that staying aware of what I’m consuming and prepared with on-the-go options are vital for my success.

I am feeling a sense of accomplishment with each workout, and finding a little positive self-talk goes a long way! While in Chicago, I actually worked out in the hotel fitness center (that’s a first!) As I entered the busy room, I was overwhelmed with feelings of insecurity –feeling like a fish out of water, as if I did not belong there and everyone knew it! But I told myself, “I can do this, just keep my head up and act like I know what I’m doing here!” –and thanks to Jodi’s specific workout guidelines, I really did have a sense of direction. Walking out awhile later, I felt like it was a small victory in my lifestyle change journey. I need to be able to push past self-doubt and believe that I can and will be able to do this!

1 comment:

  1. Go, Nikki! Go!

    "I have developed a beginner full body strength training circuit that can be done at home with a chair and a pair of free weights."

    I'm curious what the circuit is? Would you be willing to share it?

    ReplyDelete