Friday, January 25, 2013

WEEK TWO...

Lifestyle change is a process of education and small steps to create positive, healthier choices.  Now that the assessment process has been completed, I have broken down nutritional topics to discuss and am focusing on adding variety and progression to her exercise program. 
 
This week Nikki has defined her short/long term goals.  We have developed a “goals” list ranging from weight loss, wanting to walk a 5/10K and nutritionally feeling more confident in her food choices - working towards “balance” in her lifestyle.
Nutritional Homework
Nikki will continue to keep a nutrition journal and monitor her water intake.  Nikki frequently enjoys diet pop and an occasional coffee beverage which can add up to liquid calories and a lot of artificial sweetener.  I have encouraged Nikki to limit pop and look for some healthier replacements such a tea (black, green) which can be cold or hot,  flavored vitamin water zero (sweetened with stevia) and making coffee at home can save a lot of calories and money.  The key is to add a healthy variety and find a balance between the beverage options.
 
Exercise Homework
I have developed a beginner workout cardio program which incorporates a warm-up/cool-down, intensity, variety and progression.  Nikki will be focusing on building her endurance during this stage of cardiovascular conditioning.
 
Nikki’s Comments:
I love Diet Pepsi. I have consumed at least one almost every day for 15 years (including throughout my pregnancies). This is the first time I’ve ever really stopped and thought about artificial sweeteners – I just figured it was healthier than regular pop. But now I find myself wanting to stop being dependent on pop or any caffeine to get through my day. It makes sense that if I got more rest (another issue I’ve struggled with for years) and exercise, I wouldn’t feel the urgent need for caffeine morning, noon and night. So I’ve been limiting pop, switching to iced tea and coffee as needed, and increasing my water intake. It’s a good change.
 
My other focus has been adjusting to this new schedule of working out 5 times a week. That sounded daunting at first, but I feel a sense of accomplishment just from making it a priority in my weekly schedule. With Jodi’s direction, I’m making my gym time more efficient (I didn’t realize it didn’t have to take 1-2 hours each time!). My children enjoy using the Y’s childcare, and honestly I like the quiet, adult time! Who would have thought I’d ever say going to the gym was a welcomed break?! J

 

No comments:

Post a Comment