Thursday, January 17, 2013

WEEK ONE...

Nikki and I met this week which focused on the assessment process.  This entailed a series of questions regarding her current lifestyle of exercise and nutrition.  This will aid in developing an action plan to best meet her needs.

Nutritional Assessment
Many questions were asked about her dieting history, current eating habits, sleeping, behavioral patterns and some goal/motivational questions.

Nutritional Homework
I have asked Nikki to focus on her “inner motivation”- asking herself “why” is she wanting to do this program.  I have asked her to compile a list of goals for review next week so that we can start identifying short/long term goals.  Along with her goals, I want her to complete a daily diet journal - writing everything (water, food, beverages) for my review.  Plus, part of her assignment this week is increasing her water consumption to 6-8 glasses/day.

Exercise Assessment
Nikki completed body composition (weight and measurements) and a treadmill cardiovascular test which she was unable to pass at this time.  This has identified an area of weakness and will now be added to her “goals” during this process.  This should not be viewed as a failure but a motivating factor in working towards this new goal.

Exercise Homework
I asked Nikki to designate a workout schedule (days/times) that she will be committing to exercise as well as a childcare backup plan (Y childwatch, husband, friends).  Having a support system and workout schedule is essential to any action plan and helps to achieve your fitness/weight loss goals.  Nikki has committed to 4 days in the gym and 1 day will always be focused on a home workout program which has also been scheduled.

Nikki’s Comments:
I’ve appreciated the thorough nature to Jodi’s assessment – not just focusing on weight but overall wellness, and the many habits contributing to my need for this lifestyle change! It’s difficult to face the reality of just how bad I’ve let it become, but having a baseline is important so I can see and celebrate my progress along this journey! One of this week’s challenges has been to use this information as motivation instead of letting it discourage or embarrass me.
Jodi gave me two worksheets to complete. The first was on motivation to identify why I was doing this. That was easy! I have many things I want to change in my own life, and am feeling a pressing need to set a good example for my children. I outlined my obstacles/barriers and put a plan in place to limit their grip on me. The second worksheet was on setting long-term and short-term goals. That was much more difficult than I initially expected. Have I ever really asked myself what I wanted and believed I could achieve it? Breaking down big picture ideals into realistic stages to celebrate along the way – whew, here we go!
I’m feeling good about making BIG changes for my/my family’s health. I can already see that the food journal is a good source of accountability and awareness – no more mindless snacking. I know I have to write it down and “own” each choice. I’ve got so much to learn and am incredibly grateful to have someone guiding me each step of the way!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment