Sunday, February 10, 2013

WEEK FOUR...


Nutritional Homework
Nikki has started to rotate some breakfast (pre-workout) options in her routine such as oatmeal with skim milk and incorporate fruit and yogurt (post workout).  This week’s nutritional topic was “protein options”.  We discussed additional protein ideas for snacks such a protein drinks (“Designer Whey” protein powder or “Raw Protein” an excellent vegan option) - mixing the powder with water, milk, soy or almond milk.  I also gave my recommendations for healthier protein bar options such as Kind, Lara, Zone or Balance bars as they are less processed than many others on the market.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Exercise Homework
I started Nikki this week with a full body circuit that she will perform at the Y two times/per week – once with me and another session on her own.  This circuit is a beginner fundamental program incorporating steps-ups and push/pull movements (such as a ball shoulder press and machine row) as well as targeting her core with a beginner plank.  She is performing 3 circuits of 15 repetitions with each exercise, moving quickly with limited rest. She is continuing to work on building her endurance with cardio on the treadmill, bike and EFX on the remaining two days per week she workouts out at the Y.

 
 
 
Nikki’s Comments
We’re a few weeks into this journey, and everyone is asking me the same question: “Well, how much weight have you lost?” I’m certainly feeling the pressure. And not only from others, obviously I’d like to see my body changing from all this hard work! As I stand on the scale each week, my internal struggle begins. What if it’s a big loss – whew, then I’d feel validated and successful. But what if it’s not? My fear of failure begins to seep in. It has been a struggle to balance my desire for dramatic results with my understanding that this is a long-term, lifestyle change…not just a quick fix that ultimately won’t change a thing. I know it’s going to take time. I’m realizing how much I need to re-learn, and apparently patience and perseverance are on the list of lessons along the way.
So to answer your question, yes I have lost about 10 pounds. But I’m trying to focus on the bigger picture – and the many smaller changes within me that are also important. Such as, I’m becoming so much more aware – of both good and bad habits in my life. And I’m becoming so much more active. I feel an overwhelming sense of accomplishment each time I leave the gym. Sure, I have a long way to go, but I’m proud of myself. And that’s success too!

No comments:

Post a Comment