Thursday, February 21, 2013

WEEK SIX...


Kudos to Nikki for her honesty and sharing her challenges along her journey.  She is not alone; it’s easy to feel motivated in the first few weeks when pursuing weight loss and is common to lose steam with each passing week.  I believe the key to continue progressing forward is to:
1.    Focus on building healthy habits – more water, better “quality” food choices and incorporating exercise into your weekly routine.

2.    Celebrate small changes – identify and recognize what you are doing right – focusing on the positive, not the negative.

3.    Enjoy the journey – every habit we have is one we have created – it takes time and perseverance for positive changes to feel like a habit.

It is often the small decisions we make every day (do I work out, what I eat?) that will bring us closer or farther away from our fitness/wellness goals.

Nutritional Homework
This week we finished our “basic nutritional topics” discussing the importance of protein in her diet.  Protein helps build lean muscle mass and also has many health benefits such as hormone production and helps support a healthy immune system.  We discussed healthy protein options such as lean meats, eggs, dairy, soy, beans & nuts/seeds.  We also discussed the importance of incorporating “healthy fats” into her day such as cooking with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkling some flax or chia seeds into her oatmeal each morning.  Fats aren’t bad - they serve many functions in the body and promote a feeling of fullness.  The key is to add the healthy options and limit the bad such as Trans fats, which is a common ingredient in many processed foods (look for the term hydrogenated oil on your nutritional labels) and avoid.



Exercise Homework
This week we focused on intensity during our strength training session.  Nikki is continuing to complete three circuits of 15 reps, but is doing “as many as she can” on the 3rd circuit (not stopping at 15 if she can do more) which is forcing her to stay focused and tap into her mental limits.  Often we think we can’t do any more – but she is quickly learning she is doing more than she thought possible, which is increasing intensity and creating a metabolism boost which is essential for getting results.  We have varied her routine slightly and introduced her to the Lat Pulldown and Row (Back exercises) in the main Wellness Center instead of the Express Room.  Even though the machines are similar, slight variations of movement can help challenge your body and break the boredom.

 


Nikki’s Comments: 
In the order to keep this blog sincere, I’m going to share something profound: I really hate the treadmill. Why? It’s not like I’m acing the other cardio machines (bike and elliptical) or breezing through the strength training circuits. But on those days of the routine, I do leave the gym feeling challenged yet satisfied by my ability to meet Jodi’s (and my) increasing expectations. But for some reason, the days on the treadmill give me no such satisfaction. I’m growing increasingly frustrated – it’s just walking after all! Why does the time seem to go so slowly, and the set pace feel beyond my capability? Why do I feel more unsteady and unsure of myself on the treadmill? Like everything else on this journey, I’m realizing it’s a test of both physical and mental limits. But instead of backing down, I’ve decided to use it as another motivator. I am competitive; Jodi even commented I had a “Rocky-like streak” (which really made my day because I know I need to tap into my inner fighter to conquer this lifestyle transformation). After initially failing that treadmill test, I feel like I’ve got something to prove on that blasted machine! So I’ve been going into the gym an extra day specifically to address this love/hate relationship. I’m still searching for that feeling of accomplishment/love part, but I remain hopeful that someday soon I’ll find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment