Monday, November 26, 2012

The Final Exam! - Roasting Chicken

The Final Exam – Roasting a Chicken!

The end has arrived and as my final meal comfortably settles in the stomachs of my final group of tasters I thought it would be appropriate to reflect on this experience. I must admit I was a bit skeptical at the beginning of this challenge but have been pleasantly surprised by the taste and the ease of cooking healthy. Not to say that this experience hasn’t presented challenges, especially onion tears and a few knife cuts, but all of the challenges have helped me grow into the more health conscious person I have always desired to become.
I now know that, in order to be successful, I have to plan ahead. If I do not prepare for the week on Sunday I will make unhealthy choices the entire week. The hodge podge of healthy options no longer overwhelm me because I am able to focus on what makes up a healthy meal = P (protein) + C (carbohydrate) + V (vegetables). And I no longer fear missing out on social opportunities because I bring the social opportunities to my home. Instead of meeting friends out for dinner, I invite them to my home, saving money, time, and allowing me to wear my sweatpants to dinner – something you can never wear to a restaurant!
More than anything, I owe my wonderful trainer and friend a HUGE thank you! – Jodi Parnell. Jodi, a personal trainer and wellness coach at the Whitley County Family YMCA, spent countless hours putting this program together and helped me out numerous times along the way.  Jodi is a huge blessing to the YMCA and to my health. Thank you!

Roasting Chicken Night!
Instructions:
1.       Defrost chicken (refrigerator or water method)
2.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees – remove bottom rack from oven
3.       Remove chicken from packaging and rinse – place into roasting pan (no lid) – if giblets come with chicken – throw away. Add salt/pepper
4.       Place in oven – set time for 90 minutes
5.       Turn chicken – add salt/pepper. Increase oven temp. to 400 degrees
6.       Add potato to oven or prepare pasta/grain – set time for 60 minutes
7.       Check chicken – should be browned (can cut into chicken to check-no pink)
8.       Remove from oven if done and let sit for 5-10 minutes for juices to settle
9.       Remove potatoes from oven
10.   Vegetables – microwave frozen/fresh vegetables for 3 minutes or cook on stovetop
11.   Cut and serve chicken
12.   Combine chicken & vegetables & potatoes
13.   After remaining chicken has cooled for 60 minutes – pull meat from bone for leftovers

 
The start of something great!

Starting to lose confidence... 
Almost lost a finger...good thing Rose took over!
Before & After = Delish!
Flipping the chicken
yum! - Complete!
Chicken Dinner!
They were sooo excited!
the spread....yum!
All my wonderful tasters! Thanks!
 
 
Looking for a little help along the way?!?! – Try a Special Holiday “Lifestyle Coaching Package”
Learn weight management and behavioral techniques to help you get through the holidays – jump start your weight loss for the New Year!
Meet weekly for one hour with a certified personal trainer and weight management coach for 8 weeks, incorporating personal training and nutritional/behavioral coaching to help inspire you to reach your goals.
Member Cost: $145
Non Member Cost: $290
Contact Amanda Daniel at the YMCA today for more information 260-244-9622
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment