Sunday, November 18, 2012

Quick & Healthy meals satisfying every taste bud!

Quick & Healthy meals satisfying every taste bud!  - The best part of this food experiment is the variety! Each week I have been choosing from the following opinions:

Mexican
Italian
Fish
Pizza
Vegetarian
Roasting Chicken
Crockpot
Sandwich
Even better is that each of these theme nights have opinions within them. For example, for Mexican night I had the opinion of: chicken, beef, or beans and I also had the opinion of: tortilla, tacos, or chips.
A common complaint heard is that eating healthy is boring but hopefully what these recipes have proven is that healthy eating does not have to boring but can be filled with lots of variety and taste. So put the grilled chicken and veggies down and try one of the healthy meals displayed. You won’t be disappointed!

Concurring the “scary” foods...
Like a typical college student procrastinating right before the exam I have approached this healthy eating experiment in a similar fashion. I completed the “safe” and/or “easy” foods first allowing for each week to become progressively “harder” aka scarier in my mind. My biggest fear will soon be a reality as next week I complete my final exam and prepare a roasted chicken – wish me luck!
Thankfully this “scary” week ended up not being scary at all and each meal was much easier to prepare than expected. :)

Quick tip of the week – All meals should follow the following rules

1.       C (carbohydrate) + P (Protein) + V (vegetables)

2.       Each part (C+P+V) should be the size of your fist

3.       Carbohydrates = try to look for whole grain

4.       Protein = try to use lean proteins

5.       Vegetables = enjoy lots of them J

Week # 3 -

Vegetarian Night:
C (carbohydrate) + P (Protein) + V (Vegetable) – all portions the size of your fist
Instructions:

1.       Carb = cook rice/quinoa in saucepan or ricemaker – I used brown rice

2.       Protein = open can of beans, rinse, and strain – I used black beans

3.       Vegetables = steam in basket (if using rice cooker) or cook frozen – I made roasted cauliflower (super good!) Recipe…

a.       Cut cauliflower up and place on cookie sheet with tinfoil

b.      Season with garlic, olive oil, chili pepper flakes, and salt & pepper.

c.       Roast in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top

4.       Combine C+P+V and enjoy!

Other Carb Choices – brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, 100% whole grain tortilla
Other Protein Choices – any beans, refried beans, hummus, cheese
Other Vegetable Choices – broccoli cauliflower, side salad, salsa, tomato, peper, onions, etc.

A little extra kick! – I added some spicy humus to my rice & beans to give it a little more flavor
 

 

 

All ready for vegetarian night!
Love roasted cauliflower! very tasty!!!
Small mishaps occurs even for pro cooks - the lid fell off the salt/pepper grinder. Oops! good thing I was able to salvage most of the cauliflower!

Almost done - rice & beans mixed
Finished Product!!!
 

Fish Night
I’m not going to lie – this meal terrified me! This was a new experience because I purchased fresh fish for the first time! After my initial “I’m not so sure about this…” feelings it ended up being a big success and I would definitely eat it again.
C (carbohydrate) + P (Protein) + V (Vegetable) – all portions the size of your fist

Meal opinions:
Fish opinions – Salmon, cod, tilapia, halibut, etc.
Carbohydrate – potato, sweet potato, grain (rice, quinoa), pasta
Vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, peas, Brussels sprouts, green beans, etc.

How to cook fish:
1.       Place fish on a sheet of aluminum foil (I chose tilapia)

2.       Add seasoning to both sides – I used Mrs. Dash Lemmon Pepper

3.       Wrap fish like a present and place on rack

4.       Cook at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes – I cooked mine a bit longer because they were larger pieces of fish

5.       Enjoy!
 

So many to choose from....
 
The start of my first fish dinner
 
Starting to feel very unsure about this meal...
 
Step #1 - raw fish.  Step#2 - add seasoning.
 
Step #3 - wrap in tin foil & cook. Step #4 - finished product
 
Fish Meal!!!
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment