Friday, March 15, 2013

WEEK NINE...Nikki opens up about the challenge of balancing life and this lifestyle change journey


When reviewing Nikki’s diet journal this week I started to see some red flags of busyness which is starting to affect her weight loss.  She started going longer between meals and I was getting concerned she wasn’t eating enough calories- If fewer calories are eaten than are really needed, this can force your body into starvation mode, slowing your metabolism and hindering your weight loss efforts.  Research reflects that eating about every 3-4 hours is recommended for keeping your metabolism humming along, keeping your energy levels up and reducing cravings.

Nutritional Homework
I have asked Nikki to prioritize her timing of meals and get back to basics about meal and snack planning so that she isn’t skipping meals when life gets crazy.  I have also asked her to have a small protein drink at bedtime on strength training days to ensure she is getting enough protein and calories for proper muscle recovery. 

 

 
Exercise Homework
This week I set up her workout into stations, we added an agility ladder to get her heart rate up and incorporate a little fun into the usual strength training routine.  I had her focus on moving quickly between circuits as to keep her heart rate up while performing strength training exercises such as a side step-up, squat-n-press and added in dumbbell chest press.  I am still focusing on incorporating variety to her workouts and will continue to focus on progression and fun!

Nikki’s Comments
I know Jodi is right. My daily/weekly routine is still too hectic. I’m running like any other mom transporting my four kids to/from elementary and preschool schedules, sports, scouts, church activities, family functions, and play-dates. I’m working 2-3 days per week and managing babysitter schedules and various client needs. I am responsible for the usual home maintenance – laundry, cleaning and meals. My list is never-ending with tasks to complete, and people who need my assistance. Throw in a commitment to get healthy, requiring 6 weekly workouts and meal planning, and I’ve officially reached capacity!

I know I am not alone – I think more and more Americans are taking multi-tasking to the extreme, getting so burnt out tending to everyone else that we’re ultimately sacrificing our health and overall quality of life. It makes me sad to think I am flying through my life without really savoring it. I’ve always been able to handle more than most – it takes a lot to knock me down and make me feel completely overwhelmed. But I’ve used the term ‘drowning’ more than once to my husband lately. I’ve got to find a way to cut back. Finding balance is key – and yet it’s probably the hardest part of this journey for me. I am committed to getting healthy and do not want this to stand in my way. If something is truly important to us, we find a way to get it done.

I’ve taken a hard look at my schedule and realized I do not have much wiggle room. But I can retain my work hours, limit my social activities, and be more intentional with planning my schedule, including carving out much-needed downtime. I can also force myself to go to bed earlier to get a full night’s rest and be better equipped to face whatever the day entails. That’s another tough one for me – trying to get more sleep has been one of my new year’s resolutions for years! But hey, I’m breaking through so many other bad habits I’ve had for years, why not?! Even though it’s difficult to hear sometimes, I really appreciate the thorough nature of this Lifestyle Change – identifying how one bad habit leads to the next and quickly becomes a vicious cycle. I’m working hard and I know it’s all going to be worthwhile for me and my family in the years to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment