Friday, March 8, 2013

WEEK EIGHT...Jodi reviews hidden pitfalls to a quick fix diet and Nikki responds to watching "Super-Size Me"


Hearing Nikki’s struggles with others skepticism about her “lifestyle change” journey gives me an opportunity to discuss the hidden pitfalls to a quick fix diet:
Weight Loss Supplements – there are thousands of products on the market claiming amazing results but can often be misleading and dangerous.  It is questionable where the products are made and ingredients are coming from as the FDA doesn’t regulate many supplements.  When relying on a supplement it can create hormone imbalances creating more health and metabolism challenges, and at some point eventually you will have to go off the product (many products can cause damage to organs with long-term use - always discuss with your doctor).  Even if you are able to lose some weight on the scale, you may be losing muscle mass which slows your metabolism making weight loss even harder.  You are still facing the diet and exercise challenges you always have creating frustration and “yo-yo dieting”.

Bariatric Surgery – this is a very personal and extreme choice that shouldn’t be taken lightly.  This doesn’t address the underlying emotional eating and behavioral habits that have led you to the weight gain.   
I heard a statistic recently that of the billions of dollars spent every year promoting weight loss – only 2% truly achieve results that last long-term.  That I believe is a reflection of us losing sight of good old fashioned diet and exercise and instead searching for the quick fixes that the marketing and advertisement industry has led us to believe in.  An example… I was driving in my car one morning having set my alarm early to get my workout in (was the only option to get it done that day), I was in my car listening to a commercial about a herbal/weight-loss supplement that stated it would burn fat, balance your hormones and you would lose tons of weight with no changes in eating or lifestyle - it sounded like a miracle!  How silly of me – I had gotten up early, ran for 30 minutes, ate oatmeal with chia seeds for breakfast – who knew I could have stayed in bed and ate McDonalds! (just kidding)  The moral of the story…if it sounds too good to be true…..it probably is.

Nutritional Homework
Nikki and I discussed how she was doing with meal and snack planning.  She is starting to get the hang of putting a balanced meal together and will focus on trying a new recipe every week to build more variety into her current meals.  Her intake of water has consistently increased and she isn’t feeling like she is on a “diet” which is what I love to hear!  She simply is focusing on quality whole foods (fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins).


 
Exercise Homework
We updated Nikki’s current strength training routine, bumping it up a notch with a squat-n-press (working multiple muscle groups) and adding in a one arm row movement for the back.  We have added another riser to her step-ups to add intensity as well as 10lbs free weights to improve the aerobic benefit of the circuit.  She is continuing to work on holding her planks longer at each set for her core work.  Nikki has expressed enjoying the updates to her cardiovascular programs with the intervals and is up for the challenge – I have been impressed with her consistent dedication exercising 6 days/week– way to go Nikki!!!



Nikki’s Comments
I’ve enjoyed getting to know Jodi and am thankful for our candid conversations and her never-ending encouragement. She is introducing me to a brand-new world of fitness and nutrition. Each week she educates me on another piece of the healthy lifestyle puzzle – and I am soaking it up like a sponge! She’s guiding me through work-outs that are gradually increasing in intensity. It’s tough, but doable. And the diet has been very realistic. I’m learning to make small adjustments that are making a big difference. I’m drinking more water, I’m eating more vegetables, I’m pairing a carbohydrate and protein for healthy snacks, and I’m trying to eat more regularly throughout the day. I haven’t felt too restricted or deprived. Instead it’s been more about getting informed, paying attention, and choosing higher-quality foods overall. Sure, I’ve had an occasional treat/cheat – that’s just real life – but I keep it small and get right back on track. Getting healthy is my priority now, and I’m gaining momentum as the weeks go by. As they say, knowledge is power!

As one of my homework assignments, I watched a movie about a man who ate McDonald’s 3 times per day for a month in “Super-Size Me”. Obviously, I knew that fast food wasn’t healthy, but I was surprised to see how quickly his health faded by only consuming it. He gained 24 pounds (which took him over a year to lose afterwards!) and developed a fatty liver with damage similar to that of an alcoholic. It was also alarming to see just how much of an impact the food industry has on our American way of life - and how their powerful and misleading advertisements influence our families. It’s just sad that it’s easier and cheaper to buy items off the Dollar Menu than get salad ingredients at the grocery store! Admittedly, I’ve consumed my fair share of fast food through the years. But it’s no longer going to be part of my regular routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment