Thursday, June 20, 2013

Week 21: Nikki goes on vacation! How can you not indulge on vacation? Nikki shows us how!

Week Twenty One
Nikki did a great job last week organizing her schedule for the summer. She scheduled time to meal plan, cook and rest which is creating more balance in her life. That was an important positive change to see!
This week we discussed the importance of hormones.  Metabolic hormones are chemical messengers that control and coordinate activities throughout the endocrine system. When they become “imbalanced” our bodies can be thrown out of whack and it can derail your ability to maintain a healthy weight.  Hunger hormones such as leptin and grehlin are meant to tell us when to start and stop eating.  When these get out of whack it can create overeating and cravings.  So how does this happen?  Much research has identified processed foods, chemicals in our food and environment, lack of sleep, and stress to be some of the key factors in this growing problem. Basically, your body reacts to what you put into your body and how you treat it.  Adding more whole foods (foods high in vitamins/minerals), reducing stress, exercising and getting more sleep are ways to ensure you will keep your hunger and metabolism balanced.
Nutritional Homework
Nikki is going on vacation this week and I have asked her to PLAN.  She will be taking some protein bars and protein powder with her for snacks and will have access to a kitchen for cooking.  When dining in restaurants she will review the restaurant’s nutrition guide so that she will be better inclined to make a “healthy” choice.  Nikki will still continue to keep a diet journal for her own self-regulation (I will be checking her too!).
Exercise Homework
While on vacation I have asked Nikki to put together a daily workout schedule.  She will have access to a gym and will be doing a lot of walking outside.  I have also asked her to work on her lunges every other day as no gym equipment will be necessary (no excuses!)

Nikki’s Comments
My family and I had a great time on vacation! We did a variety of fun activities and enjoyed more downtime than we’ve had on past trips. It was just what we needed to come back feeling refreshed. But it was an 8-day stretch that challenged my new healthy lifestyle habits. There was temptation everywhere and a certain amount of ‘eat, drink, and be merry’ mentality comes with any vacation right? Well, I knew Jodi was anxiously waiting to see my food/exercise log when I returned and I didn’t want to let her down! And I really wanted to come back on fire to finish this Lifestyle Change package strong. I packed my workout attire and healthy snacks and asked my husband for extra moral support.
I left feeling good about my food/fitness for the week. I wasn’t perfect – I ate mostly healthy with a few indulgences too. But I never felt deprived. It was important to me to find that balance – enjoying my food/drink without ruining my whole day’s efforts. I was also able to exercise every day. Wow. I’m proud of myself for that one! Six months ago I didn’t exercise once a week – let alone every day during vacation! My husband even joined me for the gym time and outdoor walks. We both enjoyed being active together (it’s a whole new area for us to explore) – although walking around mountain country is much different than around here!

We always try to visit an outlet mall during our vacations. This time I wanted to find an article of clothing to use as motivation. I looked for a ‘little black dress’ (that fashion staple for any woman’s closet that’s never been in mine) but I didn’t have any luck finding one. Instead I bought a green jacket that I love. I’m able to wear it but not comfortably and definitely not buttoned. My goal is to be able to close that jacket by fall. And who knows, maybe even looking cute over that stylish black dress I’ll be in. I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment